Re: Nitpicking: you are doing it wrong

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:47:31 -0400, Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com> wrote:

> > - debian/copyright not in DEP-5 format;
>
> This is accepted and will be policy soon [3]. "What should be done
> eventually must be done immediately."

I think you might misunderstand the DEP process, which is easy to
do. The following is my understanding. Accepted DEPs must still go
through a policy revision process. The point is to converge on a
process/implementation, and once that process/implementation becomes
widely used and successful, then it can become policy. In particular, I
would find it pretty surprising if DEP-5 became a policy must, and
suspect that it will most likely be a policy "may" [1]. That would mean
that not having a DEP-5 copyright file might, at some point in the
future be grounds for a wishlist bug.

David

[1]: see http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-scope.html#s1.1 for
     definitions.