Re: how to get people to run lintian on their packages

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 10:47:24PM +0200, Paul Wise a écrit :
>> It is rare to see an RFS that says "The package appears to be lintian
>> clean." and the package (especially binary ones) actually be lintian
>> clean. If we were to change the RFS template, what could we change it
>> to in order to encourage accuracy and for people to actually use
>> lintian and fix any issues found.
>
> Hi,
>
> sbuild can run lintian and include its results plus a parsable pseudo-RFC-822
> field to indicate if the built package passes the test or not.  The RFS
> template could recommend to publish build logs including such iformation.

While we're sharing, here's a pbuilder hook that I (among others) use:

$ cat ~/.pbuilder-hooks/B20lintian
#!/bin/bash
#
# run lintian on generated deb files
echo "########  STARTING LINTIAN HOOK  ########"
apt-get install -y --force-yes lintian
lintian -iIEm --pedantic --color=auto --allow-root /tmp/buildd/*.deb
echo "########  FINISHED LINTIAN HOOK  ########"

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Contributor
<http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=a.starr.b%40gmail.com>