Re: RFS: tartarus

Hi Stefan,

I took a look into your package. I have some comments you may want to
consider.

On 25.05.2011 23:18, Stefan Tomanek wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "tartarus".
> The upload would fix these bugs: 604447

* You don't mention the ITP you filed in debian/changelog. Please do that.
* You seem to use a merged changelog for your (upstream) changes and
Debian packaging related stuff. This is not the intention of
debian/changelog. You shall outline there /packaging/ relevant changes
in comparison to your upstream package. Moreover you seem to have a
long(er) history of internal used Debian packages you mention in your
changelog. This could be confusing for Debian users, maybe you want to
clean this up, once you eventually moved your upstream changes to a
dedicated upstream changelog. See also [2].
* You use debhelper version 7, you could bump to version 8 as this is
the suggested version to be used these days. Learn more on debhelper(7).
* You should use a VCS to track your packaging efforts [1]. If you don't
have one, you could consider to joint the collab-maint project on Alioth
[3].
* You bundle a Perl module in your source tarball. Please package this
separately. There is a Perl policy covering Perl modules [4]. Once you
did, you may also depend on the ${perl:Depends} substitute dh_perl(1)
generates.
* Your original source tarball did not match the package source
directory you use to produce the package from. This resulted in a
quilt/3.0 changes patch in patches/debian-changes-0.9.8-1. Please update
your source tarball accordingly and re-upload.
* You install man pages through dh_installman, but they belong to the
upstream part of your package. Please consider writing an install target
upstream for them.
* You don't have an install target at all in your upstream package,
eventually you want to add that instead of relying to various debhelper.

Besides of those things (where most are minor improvements) I think your
package looks good, good work.

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-vcs
[2]