Re: Non standard tar-ball.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Paul Elliott
<pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:

> I guess my question is how to create the source package in the first place,
> so that dpkg-source will have some thing to work with.

In any case it would probably be better to just fix upstream to use a
more standard tarball layout. If it were my role to do that I would
use GNU automake to achieve it.

I see. I never had to deal with such non-standard tarballs before, but
after some experiments I would recommend the following. It will give
you foo_1.2.3-1.debian.tar.gz, foo_1.2.3-1.dsc and
foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz.

pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/foo$ mv foo-1.2.3.tar.gz foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz
pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/foo$ mkdir foo-1.2.3
pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/foo$ cd foo-1.2.3/
pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/foo/foo-1.2.3$ tar xf ../foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz
pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/foo/foo-1.2.3$ dh_make

Type of package: single binary, indep binary, multiple binary,
library, kernel module, kernel patch?
 [s/i/m/l/k/n] s

Maintainer name : Paul Wise
Email-Address	: pabs@debian.org
Date				: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:02:49 +0800
Package Name	 : foo
Version			: 1.2.3
License			: blank
Type of Package : Single
Hit <enter> to confirm:
Skipping creating ../foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz because it already exists
Currently there is no top level Makefile. This may require additional tuning.
Done. Please edit the files in the debian/ subdirectory now. You should also
check that the foo Makefiles install into $DESTDIR and not in / .
pabs@chianamo:~/tmp/foo/foo-1.2.3$ debuild -S

--
bye,
pabs