Re: RFS: libmk4-2

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> On 2011-02-24, roucaries bastien <roucaries.bastien+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do you intend to maintain this library in Debian if/after this fix for
>>> akregator is uploaded?
>>
>> I will made the fix myself. It is a medium term fix. Long term fix it
>> to reimplement akregator using akonadi but it a huge work (see kmail).
>> I plan to maintain metakit until fixed akregator go removed to old
>> stable.
>>
>> akragator use a embeded copy of metakit and I plan to use the so lib
>> instead of static linking.
>
> We have been carefully diffing your metakit with the metakit shipped by
> Akregator, and have a hard time seeing what fix you have made, and what
> it is supposed to do. If you can enlighten us, and convince us about the
> fix, we can add the patch to akregator.

I will redo my patch using quilt. Ity will enlight were is the fix. It
is returning an exception if file are corrupted

> As far as I can see, there is no reason to keep a separate metakit
> package when the only usage in the archive is in akregator.

There are three reason:
- you do not ship mk4dump that is useful for diagnostic
- you duplicate code and this is bad for a maitenance point of view
- upstream is more willing to help if we can use directly the library
as a shared object and get some bug case using dump utility

> There is people starting up upstream in finishing the long term fix, and
> I'm sure they would welcome your help.

I am not interested with akonadi, and I dislike the need to mysql,
when the future will be nosql...
I loved kmail using plein old mbox file as strorage but I really
dislike to store in sql engine.

Bastien