Re: Debconf in non-interactive mode

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20101120223808.GA15502@mea.homelinux.org>, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> >Question: Is there some mechanism I can use in the postinst
> >          script that lets me determine whether the upgrade
> >          is being conducted in non-interactive mode?
>
> First, you should *assume* non-interactive mode.
>
> To test for interactivity, you could try opening /dev/tty.[1]  It's not

This a good answer to the question asked but the question is wrong. Or at
least it doesn't give us enough information to understand the nature of
the problem.

We have debconf to handle user-interaction and the script should not have
to care if someone typed the answer or if it's the default answer recorded
in the debconf template.

Why is the postinst failing in non-interactive mode? Are you using some
home-made stuff instead of debconf? If not, why is the default debconf
answer not working?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer