Re: RFS: kstars-data-extra-tycho2 (third try)

On 11/10/2010 01:06 PM, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> On Sábado 18 Septiembre 2010 22:38:23 Noel David Torres Taño escribió:
>
>> Dear mentors,
>>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "kstars-data-extra-tycho2".
>>
>> * Package name    : kstars-data-extra-tycho2
>>   Version         : 1.1r1-1
>>   Upstream Author : Akarsh Simha, Jason Harris <kstars-devel@kde.org>
>> * URL             :
>> http://edu.kde.org/kstars/downloads/tycho2_mag_12.5-1.1.tar.bz2
>> * License         : GPL
>>   Section         : science
>>
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> kstars-data-extra-tycho2 - Contains the Tycho2 star catalog for centralized
>> (avoiding per-user) install
>>
>> The package appears to be lintian clean. Totally clean in source and 4
>> overrides in binary (two -I and two --pedantic)
>>
>> The upload would fix these bugs: 597202 and is a step in fixing 596007
>>
>> My motivation for maintaining this package is: I collaborate in maintaining
>> Astronomy classrooms in which several students per computer need to
>> download each one the same files. I think that a centralized install is
>> better if possible.
>> I discussed this in KDE forum in
>> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90166 and want to create Debian
>> packages for the other 8 downloadable kstars' extras.

we have a similar problem for bioinformatics, and so the bioinformatics
community has come up with the getData
(wiki.debian.org/getData) tool to help with the maintenance of public
data resources. It would be lovely if you could give that a review with
the hindsight of your particular demands. Tycho2 is already part of
that, btw, it was my first test case :) Our strategy was to have
applications add instructions to /etc/getdata.d on how to retrieve and
pre/post-process the data that they work on.

Have many thanks

Steffen