Re: The handling of piupart failures.

Hi Mats,

thanks for using piuparts to improve the quality of Debian!

On Donnerstag, 4. November 2010, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> being a simple DM, this has not yet given me the full knowledge
> to handle a failure from Piuparts.

don't worry, we all learn every day. (At least I hope so ;)

> In my particular case, the package `webfs', Piuparts reports
> unowned leftovers, like
>
>     /etc/adduser.conf
>     /etc/crontab
>     /lib/libpopt.so.0
>     /usr/share/bug/logrotate
>
> and a multitude other, strictly system relevant, files.

You mean like http://piuparts.debian.org/sid/fail/webfs_1.21+ds1-6.log ?

Actually I think thats not a problem in your package, but something is wrong
with piuparts, specifically the piuparts-depends-dummy package:

0m15.6s DEBUG: Starting command:
['chroot', '/org/piuparts.debian.org/tmp/tmp1vGOUG', 'dpkg', '-i', 'tmp/piuparts-depends-dummy.deb']
0m15.8s DUMP:
  Selecting previously deselected package piuparts-depends-dummy.
  (Reading database ... 6113 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking piuparts-depends-dummy (from tmp/piuparts-depends-dummy.deb) ...
  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of piuparts-depends-dummy:
   piuparts-depends-dummy depends on libgcrypt11 (>= 1.4.2); however:
    Package libgcrypt11 is not installed.
   piuparts-depends-dummy depends on libgnutls26 (>= 2.7.14-0); however:
    Package libgnutls26 is not installed.
  dpkg: error processing piuparts-depends-dummy (--install):
   piuparts-depends-dummy

And the other failures in this log are (probably) just followups on this one.

The problem is, I dont really know why this happens and how to fix this. Help
certainly very welcome!

> How I am to understand this, and what steps could I undertake
> in my solitude in order to approach a resolution of this
> annoying disgrace, for a package which otherwise is reasonable?

Actually I think you did the best you could for now: you asked here.

Also, looking at http://piuparts.debian.org/squeeze/source/w/webfs.html the
package is ok in squeeze, so that is good.

piuparts.debian.org does three kinds of tests: a picky on in sid, a less picky
one in squeeze, plus upgrade tests from lenny to squeeze. (At the moment) I'm
already happy if the squeeze tests are fine, though obviously the target is
also to have succesful tests in sid.

Maintainers who test their packages with piuparts (on their own machines)
before uploading, are already exceptional good maintainers.

If you have any other questions about piuparts, please ask me. I'm happy to
assist.

cheers,
	Holger