Re: Java library license problem

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 12:11:10PM +0100, Mònica wrote:
> Hello,

Hello,

> I am trying to package bluej [1], a Java program, but I think there is a license problem.
First have you seen the bug was merged with an other ITP [2] where more
discussion are in progress.

> This program uses a library that is not free (AppleJavaExtensions.jar). Apparently, the use of this library is only to build the MacOS version of the program. I think I could change the upstream source and achieve that the software won't be dependent on this library (now it is). But I don't know if it's worth to do it...
>
> Otherwise, the upstream source (orig.tar.gz) would include all this non-free software.
>
> Could this package be in main archive area or will it be considered as a non-free software, although I make this changes? If it is considered as non-free software, I'm not interested in packaging it...
>
> What do you do in this cases? What do you recommend?

I think if you rebuilt a dfsg clean archive to replace the original
archive and use it for your packaging then it's suitable for main
(provided there are no other licence issue of course)

> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=585696
> --
> Mònica
2: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=587553

I'm not DD so you might want to wait for other suggestion, anyway
I hope this helps.

Best Regards

--
Julien Viard de Galbert                        <julien@vdg.blogsite.org>