Re: Open RFS lacking (further) response

On 2010-10-30 02:16, The Fungi wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:44:37PM +0100, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> [...]
>> Is it always an upstream package worst than a repackaged package?
> [...]
>
>>From what I've seen, in most cases, yes.
>
> I am one of the guilty "one pet package" upstream authors who gets
> my Debian work uploaded by a gracious sponsor. [...]

Hi

Personally I believe that Noel's statement is relates to upstream, who
have their own packaging + their own little repository as compared to
upstreams like you, who also work on the Debian side.

> Even with a "special interest in Debian" I am fairly certain my
> *one* package would be improved if repackaged by an experienced
> Debian Developer.

Mmm... if such an improvement exists, it is likely a non-issue (or not
worth the time) since your sponsor has not mentioned it.

On a related note, while an experienced DD (or non-DD for that matter)
may make a "better" debian package most of them would still be an
inferior maintainer. All bug reports are handled by one who knows the
code and the latency of forwarding upstream bugs is ... 0!

> On several occasions I've gotten close to ...
> even applying for a DM/DD role
> in the project, but I'm mindful of the limited spare time I have in
> my life and careful not to commit to responsibilities beyond my
> present capacity.

Personally I think you should have an extra look at the DM role. You may
not be ready for it just yet, but I think aiming for it would be an
improvement for you. :)

As I see it, the DM role does not come with any extra responsibilities
for you other than the annual ping, if you are already double checking
your own package before sending it to your sponsor. It is not like
becoming a DM forces you to become a DD later[1] or anything.
  Sure, you also have to explicitly agree to abide by some rules and
guidelines, but you are probably following all these already.

On the plus side, you would be able to upload your pet package at will.
This saves you an email to your (at that time ex-)sponsor with every
upload (at the price of one email per year).

But of course, you should contact your sponsor about it - he/she knows
you, your package and your skills better than I do. :)

~Niels

[1] "Individuals may apply to become a Debian Maintainer without being
in the n-m queue, or having any intention of joining the n-m queue."

http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003