Re: Packaging free software with non-free data files

In <[🔎] AANLkTikp6w9+Oh3uHBd63gGZ18iRPFAQoKvGxxcsq_t4@mail.gmail.com>, Stefan Ott
wrote:
>I have a small question: I would like to package a piece of software
>that, when first launched, downloads additional non-free data files
>which are needed to run.

If these data files are the only ones that could possibly be useful, they are
really part of the program, so they shouldn't be in a separate package and the
package should go into "non-free".

If it's possible to use other data files usefully, but there's no DSFG-free
data available, the program can go in contrib and Depend on the data in non-
free.

If there's DFSG-free data available, but the non-free data is still useful
from some purposes, then DSFG-free data and program in separate packages in
main and Suggest non-free data in non-free.  (Gets a little stickier if the
program doesn't support multiple data sets.)