Re: Uploading during freeze time

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:44:51 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I just realised, the packages I'm complaining about are essentially
> squeeze backports. That is, they're packages that the packager wishes
> could have gone into squeeze but can't because of the freeze, so they
> go into experimental instead.
>
> Would it make sense then to start $x-backports as soon as $x gets
> frozen? That way experimental doesn't become a tangled mess of
> backports and actual experimental packages, you get a head start in
> starting the backport branch, and maybe even in a few lucky cases, the
> release managers can even let one of the backports past the freeze.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes, I very much agree.  If you look at recent CUT discussions, Joey
Hess and I have come to the conclusion that that is what "rolling"
should be. However, there Raphael Herzog and others see rolling as a
never-frozen testing.  We'll see what happens. From my perspective the
backports concept is much simpler and cleaner, and that is what I am
going to push for.

Best wishes,
Mike