Re: RFS: roxterm (updated package) [highly configurable terminal emulator]

Dear Tony,

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 03:34:38PM +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> On 12/10/10 00:50, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> >
> > I'll take this. The change seems minimal, so I'll sponsor it. Please
> > be sure to request the release team for a freeze exception.
>
> Thanks. I've sent a message to debian-release.
>
> I don't fully understand the freeze exception process. I see you already
> uploaded this to unstable, but last time George Danchev waited for a
> response from debian-release before uploading. Which is the more normal
> thing to do?

It might have made more sense to ask the release team for permission,
especially if you were suspicious that they might reject the
change. However, since the change seemed minimal (and important), I
made a guess (which I hope wasn't inaccurate) that the release team
would not have too much of an issue in allowing it through.

Maybe, from next time, I should first ask the release team first. But
I don't think it should matter much.

> Also, I've now moved to 1.19.* upstream, which has new/changed features.
> Should I ask for this to be sponsored for experimental or just wait
> until the freeze is over?

If you want to provide your users the package early on, experimental
would be an option, though some don't like that approach (there is a
discussion on this list happening now on this topic). But, in any
event, under the current guidelines, I'd advise you to not get the new
version into unstable during the freeze.

Thanks for your contribution to Debian!

Kumar
--
Linux - Where do you want to fly today?