Re: Uploading during freeze time

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> writes:

> I guess so, although I don't personally even use unstable myself for the
> aforementioned reasons. However, unstable is used as the "desktop"
> version of Debian by a large number of users, and the awkward
> development it gets during freeze time is not really fixed by
> experimental.

> The *real* problem is that labelling Firefox 3.6 as "experimental" is
> downright silly.

Hm, okay.  I guess I'm not feeling particularly inspired to do any work
based on that reaction.  Names are pretty arbitrary, and having the name
be what you consider to be the most urgent problem makes me think this
isn't really an issue.  It's not Firefox 3.6 that's experimental,
regardless; it's at most the *Debian packaging* of it, which is a distinct
entity.

I can see the argument of people who'd like to have new software in
unstable during the freeze period since they're not very interested in the
stable release, and that's come up before (such as in the CUT
discussions), but as with your note above, this seems most often to be an
argument made theoretically by people who aren't personally having
significant issues.