Re: Uploading during freeze time

On 11 October 2010 20:01, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> writes:
>> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>
>>> It gets used as "unstable+1" during the freeze, since there's no better
>>> place.
>
>> So why not create a better place?
>
> What specifically is wrong with experimental?  In other words, what
> problem are you trying to fix other than that you don't like the name?

Look at Iceweasel for a concrete example. We have an embarrassing
situation where the latest *stable* release, which has been amply
tested by *millions* of users worldwide ends up in the experimental
branch. It's not there because we actually think it's experimental, or
bad enough that it could potentially incur data loss due to bugs. No,
Iceweasel is in experimental due to vagaries of our release cycle that
non-developers should not concern themselves with.

So the promises implied by the spectrum of answers to "do you want it
new, xor do you want it stable?" gets broken during freeze time
because the usual place to upload untested software is occupied by the
freeze cycle.

That is what I don't like. I think it could be done in a better way.