Re: Four days

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Rustom Mody wrote:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

For example here are a couple of my last questions there:

Both look on-topic for user support fora such as forums.d.n, the
debian-user list or ask.d.n.

As you can see the answers are either non-existent or unsatisfactory

Unfortunately.

I've just added an answer to the second one.

Woooo!  Your answer only underscores my point: the large gap between
the expertise on this list and the lack of it there.

I think that this highlights a more general problem, one that I'm not going to tackle myself right now. (But if someone else does, that would be totally awesome.)

We don't clearly express what limited resources we (as Debian users, contributors, developers, maintainers, sysadmins) have, and we don't clearly express what we most desire help with.

If we did, we could find some mutually beneficial ways to reassign some tasks -- for example, a few of us mentees could say:

"I have limited time to sponsor packages. I want to sponsor packages from people who have invested serious time in helping Debian users answer their questions. So I will pay special attention to mentees who show they've answered lots of questions on ask.debian.net."

I'm not saying that right now; just hypothetically....

-- Asheesh.