Re: Advice on an interesting package

Christoph Egger <christoph@debian.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Martin Owens <doctormo@gmail.com> writes:
>> Add to that the upstream has a tendency to merge in the debian changes
>> into the trunk and I think he would like to merge in this directory too.
>> I understand that upstream should avoid adding debian to their main code
>> repository, is that right?
>
>     Well upstreams are encouraged to not include the debian/ stuff in
> their release tarballs. It might be better to have debian/ in a separat
> branch but having it in upstream VCS isn't a problem right away.
>
> Regards
>
>     Christoph

I disagree.

I think it is perfectly fine for upstream to have a debian dir. Idealy
the Debian maintainer should have write permissions to the upstream VCS
and fix packaging problems directly there.

What is a problem is when upstream has a broken debian dir or one that
diverges too much from what debian has. But if upstream keeps the debian
in sync and functional that works just fine.

MfG
        Goswin