Re: ITH! webalizer

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:10:19PM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:

> On 10-09-2010 09:52, Julien Viard de Galbert wrote:
> > First, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (current maintainer) if you have plans
> > for Wheezy, please tell me so, if not, why don't you fill and RFH or RFA
> > ?
>
> First, I would have appreciate if you had contacted me privately first.

Please accept my apology for not doing so, and being so rude and stupid.

> Second, I didn't fill a RFH or RFA because of that idea a lot of us
> have: next week I will be able to fulfill my plans and work on this or
> that. Not because I don't want people to work on that package.

Fair.

> Finally, I do have plans for Wheezy, same I had for Lenny and Squeeze,
> and I do think there is a chance I will miss them again.  When I first
> adopted it a few years ago, I started working upstream, that's why
> after several years webalizer got a new upstream, then Real Life (tm)
> kicked my ass and I couldn't promote the changes I wanted to the Debian
> package.

OK, thanks for your kind response to my rude way of asking.

> > So in case Felipe Augusto van de Wiel never answers, this is an Intent
> > To Hijack ;) the webalizer package.
>
> You would find out that I'm rather active and replying rather quickly.

Well actually I found out you were member of RT shortly after sending
the mail... but it was kind of too late, and I felt too stupid to find
anything to do about it.

> > le the upstream was inactive for several years there are new releases
> > now. A bug about this is open [2] since July 2008. And does not show
> > much recent interest from the maintainer.
> >  2: http://bugs.debian.org/491200
>
> I do have an updated version of the package that dates back of late
> 2008, which needs to be updated to be any useful.
>

> > I feel what I'm currently doing is kind of rude,
>
> It is rude.

I plead guilty...

> > however webalizer deserve a better packaging.
>
> That's also true.
>

> > I'm running my personal server at home for
> > several years now so I keeps the logs (Eben Molgen explained why this is
> > important) but If you want to have a look at what's in your log, then
> > webalizer already does a great job for you.
> >
> > I'm currently learning the debian work and find it particularly
> > difficult to start during freeze time... I'm going to need mentors and
> > sponsor for that. So I did sent copy of this email to mentors for wise
> > advices and a few other people that have shown interest in the package,
> > sorry if it bothers you guys.
>
> Webalizer package is not really easy to upgrade for somebody starting
> now because it requires some nitpicking to clean the old way of deal
> with things and migrate to the new upstream format.
>

> > My plan is:
> >  - wait a little for response
> >  - prepare a new package of the new version using format 3.0 quilt
> >  - check all patch from previous debian package
> >  - check all patch on the bts
> >  - check all remaining bugs on the bts
> >  - fill an RFS
>
> I don't mind seeing you doing the work, but indeed I would prefer
> somebody more experienced. Anyway, I would even sponsor and guide
> you thru the process.  I don't mind somebody else adopting it
> either.
>
> Right now I'm in the process of rearranging my time around Debian
> because of Release Team work, webalizer is one of the packages I
> like (even if I let it got in such bad state). :-(
>
> That's pretty much it. :)

Well you don't look to angry at me, maybe we can discuss privately on
ways to maintain webalizer (maybe co-maintain it via alioth ?) But I had
to apologize publicly.
Real Life has given me some time now and finding interesting packages to
work on is hard... but I really want to invest it on debian.

I've been stupid, please don't let this rude introduction ruin our view
of each other. I shouldn't have looked to a single package to estimate
you, and obviously I was wrong.
By reading your mail, it looks like you're still giving me a chance,
so thank you !

Best Regards

--
Julien Viard de Galbert                        <julien@vdg.blogsite.org>