Re: RFS: sima (some precisions)

Mentors,

Le 02/09/2010 16:30, Geoffroy Youri Berret a écrit :
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "sima".
>
> * Package name    : sima
>   Version         : 0.6.0-1
>   Upstream Author : Kaliko Jack <efrim@azylum.org>
> * URL             : http://codingteam.net/project/sima
> * License         : GPLv3
>   Section         : sound
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> sima       - Automagically add title to mpd playlist

> The upload would fix these bugs: 594085
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: As the upstream Author I
> would be glad to distribute my soft within official Debian repository,
> first because it is a way to contribute and learn about python packaging
> within Debian, second it would benefit the popularity hence quality of
> the soft to be distributed in such a popular distribution.

I guess sima deserves a better description, I actually filled the template and
left readers to look for further information browsing the forge.

sima is an non-interactive auto-queue MPD client, it is meant to run as a
deamon (eventually, it's not yet already a real deamon).

sima provides several queue mode based on the currently played track:
 * random track from similar artists
 * top tracks from similar artists
 * whole albums from similar artists (sima > 0.6, next release)

The script requests last.fm [0] database for artists information (similar
artists and top tracks) and cross checks availability of these artists in the
local music library served by MPD, finally queue some tracks.

[0] http://www.lastfm.fr/api

I did not came across a package providing this in official repository though
Gmpc is providing the feature as a pluging and banshee player as well, sima is
a standalone non-interactive console client meant to queue and nothing else.

List of features:
	http://codingteam.net/project/sima/doc/HomePage#title-5

For those willing to test to bin package is available:
	http://sima.azylum.org/debian

Cheers,
Geoff