Re: RFS: googlecl (now uploaded to mentors repo)
here's my comments
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:15, Sandro Tosi <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Hello Jason,
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:56, Jason Holt <email@example.com> wrote:
>> Dear mentors,
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "googlecl".
- given it's a NEW package, there's no need for a -2 revision just to
mention you've switched to 3.o (quilt): remove that and just leave the
- why '5'? I strongly suggest to use debhelper 7 (so here we need a
'7' + changes in other files)
- why priority 'extra'? just use 'optional'
- even more, you're build-depending on dh7, so compat has to be '7'
- why are you strictly depending on python >= 2.5? does the package
not work with 2.4? Anyhow, python dependencies and versioning is done
by depending on python (for pure python apps) and then setting
XS-Python-Version in the source stanza to the correct set of values -
did you read the debian python policy? Ok, you did with
debian/pyversion, but I still tend to prefer XS-P-V
- don't put examples in the long description, they should go into
/usr/share/doc/<pkg>/examples - in the long descr you can enlist what
the package does, and the services it allows to connect/interact to
- don't capitalize the short description, ideally it's a something
like "<package> is (a) <short description>"
- no need to create those dirs, you can remove the file
- why manpage is called so generically 'google.1' and not googlecl.1'
given it's for the executable 'googlecl'
- what is this patch? what's its reason to be there?
$ diffstat patches/debian-changes-0.9-1ubuntu1
google | 2
googlecl-0.9/INSTALL.txt | 14 +
googlecl-0.9/MANIFEST | 18 +
googlecl-0.9/MANIFEST.in | 2
googlecl-0.9/README.txt | 85 ++++++
googlecl-0.9/googlecl/docs/client.py | 478 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
googlecl-0.9/man/google.1 | 171 ++++++++++++
7 files changed, 770 insertions(+)
does it really has to be a patch, for example for manpage? just take
it and put it in debian/ dir and install from there. also MANIFEST*
why are there? and README.txt why is not in teh upstream tarball? like
client.py? why you didn't integrate them in the upstream tarball
(since you're part of upstream authors?)
- why "It was downloaded from <download tarball does not yet exist!>"
? can't you just release a tarball? where did you take the code your
package is based on? there is no get-orig-source in the debian/rules
file, and no debian/watch and we need a replicatable way to download
upstream source code.
- are you sure Apache-2.0 code (upstream) is compatible with GPL-3 (packaging)?
please fix lintian warnings:
$ lintian -I googlecl_0.9-2_amd64.changes
I: googlecl source: quilt-patch-missing-description debian-changes-0.9-1ubuntu1
I: googlecl source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
Since Obey is so presumptuous to not share information, I don't know
exactly what he was going to sponsor, given the amount of changes
required to put the package in shape for an upload to debian.
If you want to be sponsored by me, please address the points above
(that means: either fix or explain why you want it that way :) ).
Sandro Tosi (aka morph, morpheus, matrixhasu)
My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi