Re: RFS: procserv

Ralph Lange writes:
> Dear mentors,

Hi,

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "procserv".
>
> * Package name    : procserv
>   Version         : 2.5.0-3
>   Upstream Author : Ralph Lange <Ralph.Lange@bessy.de>
> * URL             : http://sourceforge.net/projects/procserv/
> * License         : GPLv3
>   Section         : utils
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> procserv - A process server with telnet console and log access

> My motivation for maintaining this package...
> procServ origins as a tool for the open source accelerator and physics
> control system software EPICS (http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics). In that
> context it is mainly used to run "soft" I/O controller processes in the
> background, while giving access to the console (stdin/stdout) of the
> process through a local telnet port.
> A ssh/screen combination was initially used to achieve this, but using
> the rich feature set of screen turned out to be sometimes crashing the
> child process. Also screen sends VT100 escape sequences, which clog up
> log files pretty much when used under a generic console access package.
> So procServ was created as a small, simple, stable, generic system-level
> tool to just run a command line process in the background and connect
> its stdin/stdout to a telnet port. Plus restarting the child (manually
> or automatically), PID file handling, blocking potentially dangerous
> input characters, etc. It does not implement multi-user modes,
> authorization, authentication etc - all this is left to the next layer
> console server, e.g. the conserver package.
> For security reasons, procServ restricts r/w connections to localhost.
> It optionally provides r/o access from outside (for central logging
> services).
> I think this tool is mature, simple, and useful enough to be in the
> distribution. I am willing to maintain it and keep it there.

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/procserv/procserv_2.5.0-3.dsc

This looks good, perhaps except the capital 'S' in the middle of the
application name and the man-page, but I can imagine they had their reasons
and it has already been established that way for years.

A couple of things you may want to address:

- You should not touch the Makefile directly (since it could be re-generated),
but patch the Makefile.in instead preferably via quilt, see wiki.debian.org.

- Eventually you can give 3.0 (quilt) a try (i.e. it should be easier for you)
http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0

- You want to get rid of .hg* in the tarball and .deps in the clean target

- If you maintain your packaging in a version control system, you could also
add Vcs-* fields as described in debian policy.

- Binary package procserv could also Suggests: telnet

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>