Re: RFS: backup2l (updated package - new upstream release) (2nd try)

Hello Joachim

Le Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:48:36PM +0100, Joachim Wiedorn a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >  - You chose GPL version 3 for the packaging, but backup2l is GPL version 2 or
> >    superior. If you appreciate the possibility of upgrading from version 2 to
> >    3, how about adding an ‘or (at your option) any later version’ clause?
> Is it o.k. to define the next version of GPL inside the debian package,
> that means: in debian/copyright (for source and package) and manpage?
> The upstream developer set it to GPL-2.

As long as the upstream work is compatible with the GPLv3, it is safe. In the
case (not of backup2l) where it is GPLv2 only, then there can appear ambiguous
cases where some files in the debian directory are under GPLv3 unless stated
otherwise, and therefore may create incompatibilities. Also my personal opinion
is that when Upstream is using one license, it is simpler to use the same for
everything that may be forwarded to him, and to lower licence complexity, I
tend to use ‘same as upstream’ for everyghing. (Of course, not when the upstream
license is not free or inconvenient).

> >  - Lastly, lintian found some bugs in the manpages. Since you are in contact
> >    with Gundolf, this is a good opportunity to get then fixed upstream directly.
> These lintian messages seems to be from the old version 1.4, isn't it?

They are still there in 2.3.0, but you will only see them if you let lintian
check the binary packages as well, and you activate the informational tags:

aqwa『tmp』$ lintian -I backup2l_1.5-1_amd64.changes
I: backup2l: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/backup2l.8.gz:160
W: backup2l: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man8/backup2l.8.gz preceeded preceded
I: backup2l: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/backup2l.8.gz:254

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan