Re: RFC: mawk (not maintainer, updated package)

Ryan Niebur wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:04:17AM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
[...]
>> I am wondering what to do next: should I pursue a 14-day delayed NMU?
>> Do nothing and hope some of my changes are picked up?
>
> have you tried asking the maintainer if you could work with him? all I
> can see is a mail from you 3 days ago...a bit fast to pull the trigger
> on attempting an NMU there.

You are right: I should have mentioned the timing.

I have had too many bad experiences with abandoned packages (which this
is not, though there has not been much significant work on it in Debian
for a while).  It can be frustrating to do work to fix something and
find out months later that nothing has come of it.

In other words, I would be happier if there is some way that does not
involve polling indefinitely.  I would rather do a 45-day delayed NMU [1]
than have to pester.

> through the BTS. sometimes direct mail is more effective (I know it is
> with me personally, and I've had similar experiences with other
> developers).

Thanks, that never occured to me.

> after that, have some patience..

Okay, that is what I’ll do.

Thanks for the advice,
Jonathan

[1] Sadly, I think the queue only goes to 15 days.