Re: licenses

On Dec 11 2009, Gabriele Giacone wrote:
> [1] shows a license. Is it good for Debian? Should I only declare in
> d/copyright that software is "derived from the RSA Data Security, Inc.
> MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm"?

I think that there are other packages in the archive that include this
file.  That being said, why not use one of the libraries that already
provide md5 implementations?

> [2] doesn't show a license. In this case, should we consider upstream
> license?

The samething here. I, for instance, use libssl-dev for a package of
mine (hfsprogs) that needs sha1 implementations.

You may also consider using the gnutls implmentation of those. A small
patch to adapt those might be very fruitful.

Also, when the libraries providing the functions get improvements (like,
for instance, specialized versions optimized for some newer CPU arch),
you get those for for your programs. And maintenance becomes easier.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de