Re: RFC: Proposal for template for uploads

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:50:10 -0300
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "foo".

[Include one of:]
<This package is NEW to Debian. The ITP number is: <#bugnumber>>
<This is a QA upload that fixes <description> problems.>
<This is an RC bug fix upload: <#bugnumber>.>
<This is an update of a package I already maintain.>
[or some other description of the kind of upload required]

Alternatively (or possibly additionally), some reliable method of
encoding this at the start of the subject line:

RFS: QA: <package>
RFS: NEW: <package>
RFS: RC: <package>
RFS: UPDATE: <package>

(as long as NEW is tied to packages that need an ITP, not just those
that will go through the NEW processing queue due to a SONAME bump or a
new binary package.)

> ---
>
> Its summary is:
>
> * Package name    : <foo>
>   Version         : <version without Debian revision>
>   Debian Revision : <Debian revision>
>   Upstream Author : <Upstream Author <email@address.here.example.com>>
> * URL             : <http://www.example.com/>
> * License         : <License here>
>   Language        : <C | C++ | Perl | Python | Any other>
>   Section         : <section>
>   Long description:
>   <put the long description here>
>
> ---
>
> It builds this/these binary package/s:
> foo-binary01 - short description 01
> foo-binary02 - short description 02
> foo-binary03 - short description 03
> foo-binaryn  - short description n
>
> ---
>
> The latest entry in the Debian changelog is:
>  <the description that is contained in your .changes file>

v.good idea.

> ---
>
> As required, I tested the package against unstable's version of lintian
> and it (is|is not) lintian clean.
>
>  <list of possible lintian warnings>

That's a lot better than the current template.

--

Neil Williams