Re: deb/debian suffixes in packages

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:14:04 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

> Hi -mentors!

Hello,
IANADD, nor a mentor :)

> I failed to find the correct meaning of deb/debian suffixes in some
> version strings of packages in Debian archive. Are they stand for
> seriously modified code? I found 292 examples in Debian unstable.
>
> ("aptitude search "?version(deb)" --display-format="%p - %V"
> --disable-columns | wc -l")

Usually, these prefixes are mostly used:

debian
ds
dfsg
$vcs (i.e. svn, bzr, cvs, ...)

The first two usually mean that the original tarball has ben repacked not for
license issues: stale files, build-generated files, .svn/CVS/.bzr/$vcs
directories, [..]

"dfsg" is appended when the original tarball is repacked with the removal of
files which cannot be distributed by Debian, or, at maintainer's choice,
non-free files (i.e. suitable for "non-free"), but not absolutely needed by the
program itself so, instead of making the whole package non-free, just those
bits are dropped, and the whole package con go to main/contrib.

$vcs is added when... well, when it's a snapshot from a repository :)

There might be other suffixes used, but these are the first coming to mind.

HTH,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino