Re: License help needed (nvi 1.81.6-3)

Hi Kapil,

> I looked at your packaging at:
> 	http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~hesso/deb/nvi_1.81.6-3.dsc
>
> I agree that the copyright situation is a bit complex.
>
> This is all a bit painful but I am sure that we will all thank you for
> this effort. I too will try to help by producing my version of
> debian/copyright for this package.

I've uploaded an updated package to the above URL and also uploaded the new
copyright file separately to

 	http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~hesso/deb/nvi.copyright

Short explanation:
* All files that refer to LICENSE instead of including an own license
  statement are covered by BSD-3 and pose no problem.

* The regex/ subdirectory is covered by regex/COPYRIGHT. Original author
  seems to be Henry Spencer, whose license text I have included as-is.
  Subsequent modifications are by UCB and therefore under BSD-3.

* The clib/ subdirectory has BSD-4 license texts, but the only copyright
  holder is UCB, so due to their retroactive removal of the ad-clause I
  believe those to be equivalent to BSD-3.

* dist/ltmain.sh is FSF code under GPL-2+.

Regards,

Jan