Re: Freemat license issue

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 13:57 +0200, Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to package Freemat, Mathematics Framework, but Bernd Zeimetz
> informed me that Freemat's upstream are violating the copyright/license
> of minpack by not adding the proper copyright/license statements in some
> files.
> I and Bernd Zeimetz have asked upstream to fix it,but never
> got a reaction.
> At this point,
>
> Can I simply patch those files?

You cannot assert that a licence applies (by patching the files to
declare a licence attribution) if you do not have confirmation from the
copyright holders of those files. i.e. you cannot claim that these files
are under any particular licence if upstream have not made that clear.

> Should I repack source (freemat-3.6.dfsg.tar.gz) ?

You would have to exclude those files (because if the licence for these
files is unknown, "All Rights Reserved" is the default which makes the
files non-distributable - nobody is allowed to copy them). So whether
you can repack depends on whether the package will still build without
them.

> Is it sufficient a copyright clarification on debian/copyright ?

The clarification you need is a statement from all the copyright holders
(or one who is authorised to speak on the behalf of everyone else) that
a particular licence applies to the specific files in question.

--

Neil Williams