Re: RFS: eboard (updated package)

OoO  Lors de  la soirée  naissante du  mardi 03  juin 2008,  vers 18:34,
Patrik Fimml <patrik@fimml.at> disait:

>> > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.1.1-1 of the package
>> > "eboard", the new version 2-2 of the package "eboard-extras-pack1" and version
>> > 1-1 of the package "eboard-extras-pack2".
>>
>> > I have requested to adopt these packages, and this has been accepted[1] by the
>> > current maintainer.
>>
>> > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/05/msg01013.html
>>
>> Did you try to request sponsorship from him?

> No, I didn't, as the package (and its bugs on the tracker) seemed a bit
> abandoned to me.  Would you suggest to ask anyways?

Yes, I would but I know that  you are unlikely to get an answer. I don't
want to make you wait too much.

>> > eboard - A GTK+ chessboard program
>>
>> Why did  you move eboard-addtheme to  /usr/bin? This seems  to require a
>> lintian override and no real benefit, isn't it?

> The previous version of the package already shipped
> /usr/bin/eboard-config. While upstream ships everything in /usr/bin,
> they have manpages eboard-config(1), eboard-addtheme(1) and eboard(6),
> and I followed this scheme. It also makes sense to me, as eboard-config
> and -addtheme are more of utilities than of games.

Fine for the rationale.

>> This is a bit odd to have a package depends on xfonts-75dpi. Do you know
>> the rationale behind this dependency?

> It is only a recommendation, and it seems that eboard won't start
> without the font installed. (Or maybe any font would do?) You probably
> want to have a look at bug #149331.

OK, we stick with it as a Recommends.

> I have put eboard into Build-Depends-Indep; however, upstream does not
> include a copyright notice anywhere. What should I do in this case?

You can just build it from various info, e.g:
 (c) Copyright 2001 Ricardo Mones Lastra, Felipe Bergo, ...

But looking at CREDITS of eboard-extras-pack2, I see two problems:
 - Adventurer  and Utretch  are derivative work  of some  freeware fonts
   for which we don't know the license
 - some sounds were found on the net, we don't know their licenses.

Unless clarified by upstream (maybe the  freeware font is a free one and
sounds that were  downloaded were public domain), I  think this not free
and  even  not  distributable. It  is  very  likely  to be  rejected  by
ftp-master.

> The updated eboard package is on mentors. (extra packs not)

eboard could  be uploaded.  But you might  want to remove  dependency on
eboard-extras-pack2 until license stuffs are settled. Tell me.

Thanks
--
BOFH excuse #110:
The rolling stones concert down the road caused a brown out