Re: RFS: cs46xx-firmware

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 07:32:58PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Errr, GPL without source code is not distributable. Please get
> upstream to fix the licence, or preferrably release source code. Or is
> this yet-another-downloader-package like the flashplugin package?

This firmware has been distributed with Linux kernel sources since ages,
but has now been dropped in Debian. Dann Frazier has asked Cirrus Logic
to consider fixing the licence and even releasing the sources. The
kernel firmware page http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing and
bug report #464197 contain more info on licencing and history.

>From what I know, things are unclear. I'm just hoping that this firmware
package in non-free would fill the gap for users like me who'd like to
use Debian and the cs46xx audio chips on machines like the Thinkpad T20.

The source package contains sources to the program to strip the firmware from
upstream Linux kernel sources or from the copied sound/pci/cs46xx sources taken
from 2.6.24 within the package. It also contains a pre-made firmware image,
since the (modified ) sound/pci/cs46xx driver in kernel expects it to be in
32-bit little endian format.

Hope this helps,

-Mikko