High-volume Debian mailing lists (was: RFS: xmms-pulse)

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:

> I'm not registered to the debian-devel as it's a way too much
> traffic for me to read on... When I first subscribed, it was on the
> java license problem period, and it was too much for me. Is it
> always that busy? Do you think it's a mistake not to read that list?

I'm not subscribed to any of the Debian mailing lists; I participate
in them via the NNTP gateway at Gmane.

This lets me treat the lists like a Usenet newsgroup: the entire
archive at Gmane is immediately available, and I can filter the
messages based on the header of each message, before I even download
or use local storage for any of the messages themselves. I can also
post to each group, and my messages are sent to the mailing list with
my From field in the header.

Point your news reader (such as Icedove, or GNUS, or slrn) at
<URL:nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/> for the
debian-devel mailing list NNTP gateway.

You can also instruct your newsreader to get (via NNTP) the entire set
of groups available from the news.gmane.org server, which includes
gateways to mailing lists for a great many free software projects.

--
 \      "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part |
  `\                                     of the face."  -- Jack Handey |