Re: RFS: gwyddion - Scanning Probe Microscopy analysis software

Many thanks for the quick response!

On 09/07/2007 01:55 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote :
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:54:18AM +0200, Jan Beyer wrote:
>> Furthermore there are lintian warnings, which I did not quieten. They are
>> about the libgwyddion2 package which contains several libraries and thus
>> doesn't match the SONAMES of them. What is current practice? Allow the
<snip>
> So I think the libraries should only be in the same package if they
> have the same soname.  (Or, you can put them into a subdirectory of
> /usr/lib/ if they're not linked against directly and it's no problem).
The point is, at least as upstream explained to me, that these libraries are
not particularly well split with regard to their contents. So no one will
link against just one or some of them. In fact, one often needs some modules
(which are in the gwyddion package) to build something reasonable. That's
why I/we (we=upstream+me) decided to put them together.
Concerning putting them into subdirectories: This would mean creating a
subdirectory for each library and putting it in there? Could I then keep
them all in one package? I have no idea, whether this will be hard to
achieve or cause problems - I can ask upstream, if you would prefer this
solution. But then it would probably be easier to just split libgwyddion2
into the six single-library-packages...

>> And finally there is a duplicate depends of gwyddion on libgwyddion2, one
>> added by the debhelper scripts and one by me - should I override this, or
>> take away my hand-written dependency?
> I think you should drop the manually-added one since the automatic one
> will always be working with ELF dependency output.
Should I force a versioned automatic dependency via dh_makeshlibs -V or
dh_makeshlibs -V 'libgwyddion2 (>=2.8)'?

Regards,
Jan