Adding quilt to the new maintainer guide.

[Thread broken to avoid thread hijacking]

Le Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 01:48:18AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> a lot of packages already use dpatch or quilt, which makes adding
> new patches to the build process pretty easy. If they're not used
> yet - adding the neccessary stuff to debian/rules is well explained
> in the examples. Have a look into the documentation which ships with
> the dpatch and quilt packages (dpatch is more simple to handle, but
> quilt is the better system - YMMV).

kunpuu|~|$ ls /usr/share/doc/quilt/
AUTHORS              changelog.gz  quilt.html    quilt.quiltrc  README.gz       TODO
changelog.Debian.gz  copyright     quilt.pdf.gz  quilt.txt.gz   README.MAIL.gz

	I never found any documentation on how to use quilt in Debian
source pacakges. The reason is of course that it is really simple, but
how can we guess the name of the file which plays the role of 00list
for dpatch? The man page of quilt is horribly complex and hides the
fact that using it in a similar way to dpatch or cdbs is very
straightforward.

kunpuu|~|$ lynx --dump 'http://wiki.debian.org/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=quilt&titlesearch=Titres' | grep results
   0 results of about 7742 pages. (0.18 seconds)

	Writing "quilt" in the search box of wiki.d.o and pressing
enter gives nothing. (Okay, I relalised later that there is a "Search
in text" button")

	Nevertheless, I tried quilt this week and I like it a
lot. Actually, I find it simpler than dpatch because it is not
necessary to convert the patches to a special format. I would like to
submit a patch to the new maintainer guide to promote quilt together
with dpatch. Shall I send a bug report directly, or shall we discuss
the patch on this list before ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy