generating patches for debian packages

I am looking for some tricks for generating patches for the debian source
packages.

Let's say I download the source of a package foo

apt-get source foo

Now I change somefiles inside foo. How can I easily generate a patch so that
I can send it to bts/maintainer etc.,? Currently what I do is

unpack the source again into another temp directory and then use "diff -r"
and then delete the temp directory. But this is time consuming. Is there
any easy way? Are there any books which deal with practical issues such as
these?

thanks
raju

--