Re: Multiple upstream changelog files

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Dumb question: How this? debian/package.NEWS is (from man-page reading)
> just a different form for debian/NEWS and this file is installed
> as /usr/share/doc/package/NEWS.Debian.gz, which is not intended to
> contain the upstream NEWS file. Am I wrong?

You are correct.  And anyone using the NEWS.Debian file for upstream
changelog will get LARTed when someone notices the missuse.  NEWS.Debian is
supposed to be used only as a extremely high signal-to-noise ratio medium
for very important announcements about package/program behaviour changing,
and other very important information to package users.

If it doesn't need to be shown to every user of a package at upgrade, it
does not belong on NEWS.Debian.

  Henrique Holschuh