Re: RFS: statist - Small and fast terminal-based statistics program

Hi,

Thank you, Mario Iseli, for your suggestions (and for
reopening this thread), and thank you Russ Allbery and
Justin Pryzby for your additional comments.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:34:39AM +0100, Mario Iseli wrote:
> debian/copyright:
> - Architecture: any
> + Architecture: all

According to Debian policy (version 3.6.2.2; section 5.6.8),
"all" "indicates an architecture-independent package", and
"any" "indicates a package available for building on any
architecture". Since statist is a binary package, the most
appropriate is the use of "any". I suppose that it can be
built in any architecture supported by Debian, although I
actually have only compiled it under i386 and amd64.

> -Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
> +Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
> (You don't need the second variable, it isn't defined anywhere...)

Your were correct. dpkg-gencontrol output:

  dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}

Thus, I removed the second variable.

>   Homepage: http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist/
> This is a bit a problem, i'm also not sure because everybody makes it a
> bit different, i thought it has to be like that (no warranty):
>  Homepage:  <http://.....>

The two spaces at the begin of the line are there to let
the line be displayed verbatim. This was a suggestion made
by someone in this list some time ago (see also Debian
policy, section 5.6.13). And, as Allbery and Pryzby said,
"<>" are more commonly used around email addresses.

> debian/copyright:
> - It was downloaded from http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist
> + It was downloaded from <http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist>
> (+/- can't be ommitted)

> - Copyright Holder:  1997-1999 Dirk Melcher
> -                    1998-2005 Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
> -                    2005 Jakson Aquino <jaksonaquino@yanoo.com.br>
> + Copyright Holders:	Dirk Melcher <where.is@the.email.org?>
> 			1998-2005 Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
> +			 2005 Jakson Aquino <jaksonaquino@yanoo.com.br>
> (1. plural form; 2. i think the years can here be ommitted)

I had not put Dirk Melcher's email before because he's no
longer involved in the development of statist. But I think
you were correct. I took "dpkg" as an example, because it
has a lot of copyright holders, and wrote the following in
the copyright file:

Copyright (C) 1997-1999 Dirk Melcher <Dirk.Melcher@usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
Copyright (C) 1998-2005 Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
Copyright (C) 2005 Jakson Aquino <jaksonaquino@yanoo.com.br>

> debian/rules:
> clean:
> testdir and testroot not needed.

I followed Allbery remarks and I'm keepping the testdir and
testroot.

> binary-arch:
> dh_installchangelogs (should this not install YOUR debian/changelog?)
> dh_installdocs (useless: you have to provide a debian/docs or remove
> this)

As Allbery wrote, the package needs both dh_installchangelogs
and dh_installdocs. Please, the man pages of these programs.

> The rest i think should work, i compile it now and test it a bit. :-)

Thank you again!

Regards,

Jakson