Re: RFS: statist - Small and fast terminal-based statistics program

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:34:39AM +0100, Mario Iseli wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 21:36 -0200, Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
> > Hello!
>
> Hi!
>
> > This package was discussed here before, but I didn't find a sponsor yet.
> > Below, some information about it:
>   Homepage: http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist/
> This is a bit a problem, i'm also not sure because everybody makes it a
> bit different, i thought it has to be like that (no warranty):
>  Homepage:  <http://.....>
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-upstream-info

There are *2* spaces in that line, one of which is

 foo
 .
  Homepage: bar
^^

I'm mailing Andreas now about correcting the newly-added regex.

> debian/copyright:
> - It was downloaded from http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist
> + It was downloaded from <http://wald.intevation.org/projects/statist>
> (+/- can't be ommitted)
Do you mean the "<>" characters?  Why?

> - Copyright Holder:  1997-1999 Dirk Melcher
> -                    1998-2005 Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
> -                    2005 Jakson Aquino <jaksonaquino@yanoo.com.br>
> + Copyright Holders:	Dirk Melcher <where.is@the.email.org?>
> 			1998-2005 Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
> +			 2005 Jakson Aquino <jaksonaquino@yanoo.com.br>
> (1. plural form; 2. i think the years can here be ommitted)
Why can they be omitted?

> The License-part has no valid copyright! Should be something like that:
> License:
>
> Copyright (C) 1989-2005  Mario Iseli <admin@marioiseli.com>
>
> This is free software......
>
> debian/rules:
> clean:
> testdir and testroot not needed.
> binary-arch:
> dh_installchangelogs (should this not install YOUR debian/changelog?)
> dh_installdocs (useless: you have to provide a debian/docs or remove
This is wrong, as noted:

  dh_installdocs automatically installs debian/copyright if it exists.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:41:29PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Mario Iseli <mario@marioiseli.com> writes:
>
> > debian/rules:
> > clean:
> > testdir and testroot not needed.
>
> It's standard to call dh_testdir and dh_testroot in packages that
> use debhelper, and the sample debhelper templates show this.  If you
> feel this is incorrect, could you talk to the debhelper maintainer
> about it?
You would talk to the dh-make maintainer, and not the debhelper
maintainer.  But testdir and testroot in the clean target makes
perfect sense IMHO.  Otherwise you might rm -fr foo/ in the wrong
directory (ouch!), or have the clean target fail (or not fail,
incorrectly) for a bad reason or with a bad error message.

See also Policy 4.8,
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules

|The clean target may need to be invoked as root if binary has been
|invoked since the last clean, or if build has been invoked as root
|(since build may create directories, for example).

I thought that I understood this, but now I'm pretty sure that I
don't.  I'd appreciate if someone knew and told me.

--
Clear skies,
Justin