Re: Policy documentation on debconf

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:27:04 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> said:

> On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 09:23:23PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:59:07 -0200, Rogério Brito
>> <rbrito@ime.usp.br> said:

>> Policy is not the place to put documentation that belongs to
>> packages?

> How can specifying when and with what arguments a maintainer script
> gets run belong to a package? If it does, why isn't
> {pre,post}{rm,inst} documentation in dpkg's documentation rather
> than in the policy?

        What policy has is an interface descripton that a package may
 expect with the package management systems. The corresponding
 interface definition is provided by the full debconf spec. If there
 was a document externally that provided the interface definition (not
 just the command line args and calling sequence for maintainer
 scripts, (Hmm. Maybe it is time for me to do so), those would be
 included instead.

        The idea is for policy not to be an obstacle in development of
 the debconf/packaging system, while specifying enough of an interface
 that developers can rely on some things being constant from upload to
 upload.

        manoj
--
Express Lane: Five beers or less Sign over one of the urinals, Ed
Debevic's. Phoenix, AZ.