Re: (slightly more complex) library upgrade

Op wo, 21-12-2005 te 13:31 +0100, schreef Michael Biebl:

> So, in order to achieve the removal of libpowersave7 and assure the
> functioning of kpowersave during the upgrade, should I add a
> Conflicts/Replaces: libpowersave7 to libpowersave10 (although this is
> actually not the case) or should I use a versioned depends on powersaved
> in kpowersave and move the libpowersave to oldlibs after the upgrade?
> The Conflicts/Replaces solution would assure that the upgrade of
> libpowersave is hold back until the new kpowersave is available. But it
> seems to me that this is more of a hack and doesn't correctly reflect
> the situation (libpowersave7+10 *can* be installed in parallel).
> Moving libpowersave7 to oldlibs on the other hand wouldn't automatically
> remove it. But at least it would make it easier for the user to spot,
> that it could be safely removed.
> What would you suggest, what is the cleanest solution?
Do NOT do the conflicts/replaces routine. Aptitude will remove the
library from the users system when no package needs it anymore.
Deborphan also will tell that the library is not used anymore, so the
user knows is ca n be removed from there system. Just don't force the
removal!

Greetings Arjan Oosting