Re: RFS: sysinfo -- simple GNU/Linux program that displays computer/system information

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:37:19PM +0100, Mario Iseli wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 14:13 +0100, Adriaan Peeters wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for sysinfo [1], detailed info below. I
> > already have two packages in Debian: dnstop and sipcalc.
>
> Hi, i'm not yet a DD. Because i'm sick i have time to review your
> package and i found some mistakes.
>
> in your diff:
> --- sysinfo-0.6.1.orig/src/Makefile.in
> +++ sysinfo-0.6.1/src/Makefile.in
>
> This is wrong!! you may not change anything at the orig! If you have to
> apply some changes you should use dpatch and apply the patches by
> debian/rules.
It is allowed to change things in the orig _by using the diff_.  The
orig must be pristine if possible, or be a stripped down version of
the real orig, without any modifications (only the necessary amount of
removals, eg for DFSG-freeness).

Many, many packages have .diff changes outside of ./debian/.  Some
prefer to use dpatch or the like to isolate the changes to ./debian/,
and the .orig changes just end up in patchpatch format in
./debian/patches.

But there is no rule against .diff fragments outside of ./debian/, and
AFAIK its not even strongly recommended; (of course, there are times
when it makes perfect sense: when there are many independent
Debian-specific changes to upstream source).

What is wrong is to have the .diff apply changes to generated code
(such as ./Makefile in an autoconfed tree).

> debian/changelog:
>   * Initial Debian Release (Closes: 333680)
> This makes no sense, it is a debian package so the "debian" can be
> ommited, the rest is ok.
Hmmm I think it could make sense.  Maybe "initial upload to Debian
archive"?  Many times people maintain packages for some time before
finding a sponsor, they even go through * New upstream releases.  Its
good practice IMO to keep a changelog during that period, even though
that version is not going to be in Debian.

> debian/control:
> please add this below the description:
> .
> Homepage: <URL of upstream homepage>
Please indent the Homepage pseudofield as described at:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/12/msg00059.html
  #339829: lintian: Please test for best-practice homepage fields
  #339826: devref: Please discuss Homepage padding more fully
  DevRef 6.2.4: http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-upstream-info

> debian/copyright:
> It was downloaded from <http:/...> (the crocodiles cannot be ommited).
> Why everywhere those asterisks?
Huh?  Are you looking for the full URL?  Since its an sf.net download
page, I think this is the best way.  See bugs and discussion linked to
at:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/12/msg00035.html

--
Clear skies,