Re: default man page

Adriaan Peeters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am packaging sysinfo [1,2]: a simple Gtk program which can display
> some computer/system information. Upstream does not provide a man page,
> but the program has no useful command line parameters, except the
> default gtk options. Does there exist a default man page for these
> cases, should I create an almost empty man page or can I just leave it
> out?

See section 12.1 of the debian policy, especially the footnote
which refers to http://www.schweikhardt.net/man_page_howto.html

IMHO, you should at least describe the purpose of the program
in the man page, to enable a user to examine what the program
does before executing it.

The simplest approach might be to use a man page from an
existing Debian package as a template, and simply replace
the various sections with your text.

Regards,

	Andreas

--