Re: Dependencies and debconf configuration

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 12:21:58PM +0200, Julien Valroff wrote:

> > If bootsplash requires a theme to be installed in order for its postinst to
> > complete successfully, then bootsplash must depend on the theme and the
> > themes must not depend on bootsplash.
> Thanks, it works, at least with dpkg (I still have to check how synaptic
> an aptitude behaves).

Or you could read what policy says about the meaning of package
dependencies.

> > If the package's debconf config script *also* can't do the right thing
> > before the theme is unpacked, then the config script should exit without
> > attempting to set any debconf variables.
> I am not sure to understand what you mean. Could you please explain
> again?

Package dependencies only affect postinst scripts.  They don't affect
preinst scripts or debconf config scripts; preinst script dependencies must
be enforced with pre-dependencies, and config scripts must be resilient
against being called before dependencies are installed because there is no
package relationship that can be declared for config scripts.