Re: RFC: firebird2-1.5.2

On Monday 29 August 2005 15:02, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> Hi, Mentors,
>
> First, an introduction.
>
> firebird2 packages need a recompile due to C++ ABI transition (#317314).
> Current version is 1.5.1-4. Its codebase has problems compiling both
> with gcc-3.4 and 4.0
>
> I've decided to package 1.5.2, which is the upstream's solid-rock-stable
> from long time ago. 1.5.2 compiles happily (besides several tons of
> warnings) with gcc-3.4, but not with 4.0. So I stick with gcc-3.4
>
> Upstream's oppinion on using 4.0 is basiccaly "dont use the last
> compiler, it has bugs". I know they're wrong, but the only way of
> proving it is by providing the patches, which I can't do. The next major
> release (2.0) looks more promising to compile with 4.0. Unfortunatelly,
> it is still in alpha.
>

> Now, the request.
>
> Since firebird is a beast to package (it produces 9 binary packages, 2
> of which are shared libraries), and since everybody in the
> firebird-packaging group[1] seems either busy or on vacation, I'll need
> a sponsor to do the upload.
>
> However, before asking for sponsorship, I'd like to ask you to give me
> your comments on packaging.
>

> Source/binary packages are available on
> ftp://212.36.1.2/public/pool/main/f/firebird2
>
> Upstream source can be downloaded from
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/firebird/firebird-1.5.2.4731.tar.bz2
>
> Note that due to dpkg-source in sid not supporting .tar.bz2 upstream
> tarballs yet, the orig.tar.gz is repackaged.
>

> Your comments are very much welcome.
>

> dam
>
> [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-firebird-general/

Err, ping ? How to proceed in cases like that where maintainers are almost
inactive and new package fixing serious bugs is prepared. Who is supposed to
review the package and upload it as well ?

Damyan, please register it on sponsors.debian.net

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB