Re: Pulling X11 dependency out of the Erlang package.

François-Denis Gonthier wrote:
> I'm the erlang package maintainer.  I've been suggested by someone to make an
> Erlang package that is not dependant on X11.

Wise suggestion.

> I found that logic because an
> Erlang system node doesn't usually require an UI.  But, after thinking about
> that, I saw several possible ways of reorganizing my package to accomplish
> that goal.

Thank you.

> [...]
> - Remove the part of the main package that require X11 and put it in a new
> package.  The main package could Recommend the installation of the X11
> package.
> [...]

"Suggests", please; not "Recommends".  "Recommends" is a Debian
technical term which does not mean quite what "recommends" means in
English.  "X Recommends Y" implies that X is normally useless
without Y.  This does not appear to be the case with what you propose.

"Recommends" is a weak "Depends", not a strong "Suggests".  Among other
purposes, "Recommends" allows X to be unpacked and configured before Y,
even though X needs Y for normal operation.  Typically, if one tried to
run X without Y, X wouldn't break anything and would at least exit
gracefully with an error message; but without Y, X probably would do
little or no useful work.  Other technical uses of "Recommends" are
possible, but they all imply: "If you cannot install or do not want to
install Y, then you can ignore X; X is probably uninteresting to you."

If X is useful without Y for at least some normal users, although the
majority of X users would want Y too, then the correct Debian
relationship is: X Suggests Y.

Good luck with your Erlang packages.