Re: Packaging Barcode Writer in Pure PostScript

On 06-Sep-2005, Terry Burton wrote:
> I'm currently packaging the Barcode Writer in Pure PostScript
> project that I have written.

Yay! I like this program, thanks.

> Debian Policy mandates that programs have a manpage. Since this is a
> PostScript resource (similar to a shared library) does this rule
> still apply. If so then I'm not sure what the content of such a
> manpage ought to be.

The policy mentions manual pages here:

    <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1>
    "Each program, utility, and function should have an associated
    manual page included in the same package. It is suggested that all
    configuration files also have a manual page included as well.
    Manual pages for protocols and other auxiliary things are
    optional."

By "program" and "utility", I understand that Policy refers to
commands that can be given at a shell prompt. By "function", I
understand that Policy refers to library functions.

The Barcode Writer is a PostScript program, but is not a command that
can be executed at a system shell prompt. I think it counts as pure
data, and a manpage is "optional". I also think such a manpage
wouldn't be much use.

> After I have got the source package into good shape, do you have any
> advise on finding a package sponser? Any volunteers.

You're in the right place; sponsors will likely present themselves in
response to this email on debian-mentors.

--
 \      "I got some new underwear the other day. Well, new to me."  -- |
  `\                                                       Emo Philips |