Re: Change version number only for a different build.

Am Montag, den 05.09.2005, 15:06 +0200 schrieb Antonio Ospite:
> Hallo,
>
> I'm learning something about debian packages, policy and repository, and
> I'm trying to make an automatic repository (hence with a "pool"
> directory), but i have a question. Can you help me, please?
>
> Since my packages are "unofficial" I want them to be built for sarge and
> sid (i use pbuilder for that), but in the same upstream version; is that
> allowed by the policy.

No problem. Your packages are unofficial. Builds for Sarge are only
backports (see backports.org). I do the same for my packages.

> What i have to do?

Normally it is the best idea to show that an package is unofficial. A
lot of people therefor add their initials to the Debian revision. I
suggest the following (xy are the initials):

Sid   0xy1
Sarge 0xy0(.)sarge(.)1

To still upload the sources use the dpkg-buildpackage option -sa.

> I tought i can use a different package version for binary packages
> targeted to different distribution, does something like package_x.x-1
> for sid and package_x.x-1sarge for sarge sound reasonable to you?

I do not suggest to use -1, -2 ... for unofficial packages.

> And how do i have to report the different builds in the changelog?
> Is it an acceptable practise to add a changelog entry only for a build
> on a different distribution?

Have a look at the backports.org packages. I think, this is a good
solution.

Regards, Daniel