Re: RFS: gips - an isotopic pattern calculator

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:43:02AM +0200, Krugaan wrote:
> Frank K?ster schrieb:
> >Krugaan <krugaan@gmx.de> wrote:
> I splitted the code base to keep the command line version free from the
> overhead needed by the GUI.
> If there is a chance to get a sponsor for the command line version, I
> don't mind to build a package for this. So the question is:
> Build two packages, put both in one package or only add one of the two
> programs?
It depends on their relative sizes, and the sizes of their
dependencies.  If it would be massively inconvenient for some users to
have dependencies on the X11 libs, then it should be two separate
packages, such that those users can install just the command-line
program.  If its okay to pull in X11, and the GUI is small (say, the
.deb is less than a MB), then I think the preference is to put them in
the same package (with a common dependency on X11).

I seem to recall a recent -mentors thread about this, or mb a bug log.
Just use your best judgement about when separate packages are
appropriate.  There is an overhead, too, for each additional package.

Justin