Re: pkg-config

On Saturday 03 September 2005 6:11 am, Steve Langasek wrote:
> No, it's not.  The .pc names are set by upstream and we should not
> diverge from them, and the package names are governed by Debian policy
> and may not match the names upstream has assigned to the .pc files.

On that note, I'm upstream and co-maintainer for a library package that is
being overhauled. The upstream tarball is qof-0.6.0.tar.gz, the SONAME is
libqof1, the package libqof1 and I want libqof1 >= 0.6.0 as a dependency for
packages that use the library.

Currently, the .pc file is qof-1.pc which probably needs to be changed.

Taking this as an example, what *would* be the recommended name for the pc?

Should it include the SONAME at all?
Should it always use the lib prefix?
Is there any convention on these filenames, independent of any distro?

--

Neil Williams