Re: RFS: kde-icons-nuvola -- popular icon theme for kde

Christoph Haas wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:01:59PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
>> Hmmm could you please give me a hint how to use this? My steps are the
>> following:
>>
>> 1) unpack tarball
>> 2) rename dir if not compatible with debian's naming convention
>
> No need to do that. Just enter the directory - no matter what it's
> called.

this is exactly the reason, why I allways rename the dir: dh_make refuses to
work if I run dh_make in the "nuvola" dir:

---
The directory name must be <package>-<version> for dh_make to work!
I cannot understand the directory name or you have an invalid directory
name!
---

I think I really miss something here, so let me explain my steps a bit more
precise:

- I'm currently in ~/debian

- I create a nuvola dir just to seperate it from my other packages

- Inside this dir I put the tarball and extract it, which gives me in this
  case a second nuvola dir, since upstream packed it this way

- Now I am in ~/debian/nuvola/nuvola

- If I run dh_make now, it refuses (see above) and this is why I rename it
  to ~/debian/nuvola/kde-icons-nuvola-1.0

- When I enter this dir, and run dh_make everything looks well but my
  org.tar.gz is off couse not the same as the upstream

Could you please give me advice what I should to instead?

>> 3) run dh_make
>> 4) adjust all the files in debian/
>> 5) run debuild
>
> I use pbuilder to make sure the dependencies are correct and I'm
> building in a clean environment. But debuild is generally okay.

Yeah, me too I just wanted to make my steps as easy to follow as possible.

>> 6) upload
>
> Perfect.
>
>> where can I improve my practice?
>
> You are doing well. Really. :) Just some suggestions...
>
> debian/control:
> - Remove the empty "Builds:" line
> - The "debhelper" dependency can go into "Build-Depends-Indep:"
>   since your package is architecture-independent
> - Typo. Beautifull -> Beautiful

Thanks, finding a good description for a trivial thing like "nice looking
icons" is quite hard sometimes ;)

> debian/copyright:
> - please use the exact URL where you downloaded the upstream tarball
>   (http://www.icon-king.com/files/nuvola-1.0.tar.gz)
> - "This library is free software"... library?
> - "On debian machines"... isn't this Debian? :)
>
> debian/docs:
> - is "thanks.to" useful?
> - the "readme.txt" contains a redundant copyright and not much more
>   useful information IMHO. What do you think?
> - "author" can surely be omitted

Again, thanks -- I thought one should try to leave as much upstream
information as possible in the package -- but you're right. These infos are
redundant.

> debian/rules:
> - you need a "binary-arch" target (see
>   http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules)
>
> Don't be frustrated by the amount of comments. Those are mainly minor
> issues. Thanks for your contribution already. I believe you'll quickly
> find a sponsor once this is fixed.

That's really no problem, it might be frustating to find a sponsor
sometimes, but having people who are willing to help eases this a bit ;)

Kind regards

Bastian