Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 18.00, Joey Hess wrote:
> Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > If I were to receive a bug report, say wishlist severity, containing a
> > patch that rewrites one of my packages' debian/rules to use debhelper,
> > I would be very upset: it would feel like an insult toward my style of
> > packaging.
>
> You need to grow a thicker skin. By your reasoning, any substantial
> patch or code review is a personal attack; that is not an attitude that
> is conducive to evolving good code.

Disagree.   Most contributions that do seriously improve the code in
question will very likely be at least looked at.  A "contribution" that
just proposes to replace code with other code that does essentially the
same, but using a totally different toolset, without clear benefits, will
likely be wasted effort and can - understandably, imho - produce reactions
that range from ridicule to insult.

cheers
-- vbi

--